Entertaining is always fun and exciting. There’s nothing like hosting a festive evening at your home with food and friends in abundance. However, in spite of all the fun and excitement, hosting can be taxing…if you let it. Fear not! By understanding the simple anatomy of a cheese plate, you can turn a chore into child’s play.
I recently hosted some friends at my house for a little post-holiday get together. Having no desire to spend hours in the kitchen preparing heavy hors d’oeuvres, I opted for a quick trip to the market for some simple items to construct an impressive spread of a cheese plate.
By gathering a few high flavor items, you can gracefully build an appetizing array of goodness that will keep your guests snacking all evening. For the perfect cheese plate you’ll need:
- The Vehicle – Whether a cheese board, a piece of slate, or a custom piece like I have pictured above, your vehicle should be large enough to house all your stackable sensations.
- The Cheese – Most definitely the star of the show, you should always be mindful of flavors that will marry well with your other items. When it comes to cheese, you often get what you pay for. I opted for a mild brie that would provide a building block for flavor and an aged cheddar with a whiskey soaked rind that was full of flavor and sharpness.
- Something Sweet – A perfect pairing with robust flavors like cheese is the natural sweetness of fruit. Whether you want tartness with a Granny Smith Apple, subtle sweetness with orange slices, or vibrancy with plump grapes, fruit is always the perfect addition to your plate. An alternative item, and quite the conversation piece, is natural honeycomb. Pictured above in a separate dish, I chose to add another layer of sweetness with Savannah Bee Company’s Raw Honeycomb. This honeycomb creates a perfect bite when coupled with a tart apple slice.
- Something Crunchy – With all the sweetness and soft textures on the plate, provide your guests with some crunch by introducing something as elementary as nuts. The salty, crunchy combination will create a nice bite for your party goers to snack upon.
- Foundations – Not the star of the show, but definitely a huge supporting character. There are a number of items that you can choose for your guests to build upon. I simply used a heavy grain cracker and sliced french bread.
Entertaining made easy! An impressive cheese plate with intense flavor combinations is sure to impress your guests while providing you with a stress free evening. Take the plunge and gather your friends together for a cheesy evening. A presentation like the one pictured above is a definite way for you to stay stylish!